People are always amazed at the quality of food that comes out of the tiny galley on the WW Durant. And the quantity! Some say it’s like a magician who just keeps pulling scarves out of his sleeve!
Who is responsible for this magic act? Jim Pohl, Dean and Donna’s younger son and number three child. Jim has been executive chef on the Durant for 16 years. Jim is 35 years old so that’s almost half his life! Hey, it’s a family owned and operated business. He has learned from some great chefs who worked for Raquette Lake Navigation during Jim’s youth. We salute Chef Gene Marks in particular. Chef Gene was impressed with Jim’s talent, drive and focus and encouraged him to work in the culinary field. In fact, it was his recommendation, himself a graduate of the CIA, that probably sealed Jim’s acceptance at the prestigious Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park.
- Has worked on the Durant since the beginning, 24 years, in a variety of positions
- Responsible for creating and executing all menus on the boat
- Supervises the culinary crew
- Orders all food from purveyors
- Collaborates with Rachel developing beer & wine pairing menus
- Works with wedding parties and other private charters in menu selection & costing out
- Makes, bottles and sells his signature dressing Japanese Vinaigrette
- Has experience working at other restaurants from Las Vegas to New Orleans to Clear Water Beach to Rochester
- A member of Northwoods Lodge #849 F&AM
- For fun Jim likes to go boating with his wife Elaine and daughter Avery, snowmobile in the winter, fly his drone and try new and different restaurants