Our Beverage Manager, Head Bartender, and Special Events Coordinator
Rachel Caroline Pohl, Dean and Donna’s older daughter and second child, approaches her job with passion and creativity. Her adventurous spirit has been known to inspire some excellent mixology on the Durant.
Space on the Durant is extremely limited. Next to the guests the most precious thing on the boat is space! Rachel tackles this space issue by offering a rotating selection of wines, beers and spirits- one that is smartly curated and filled with whimsical surprises. Her selection of wines reflects the guests’ tastes, Chef Jim’s specials and what’s new.
- Has worked on the boat in some capacity since the beginning, for 25 years
- Earned her Certification from the International Wine Guild headquartered in Denver, Colorado “one of the top five professional wine schools in the US for professional wine education.” (Food & Wine, May, 2011)
- Develops and maintains the Durant’s wine, spirits and beer lists, as well as its cocktail program
- Leads wine and beer tastings; develops education programs for guests and staff
- Collaborates with her salesmen and Chef Jim to develop pairing menus for special event wine and beer pairing dinners
- Reaches out to different entertainers to book special events on the Durant such as our famous Jimmy Buffet cruise, murder mystery cruise & comedy cruise
- Collaborates with entire team to review cruises for upcoming season to evaluate the need for changes such as menu additions based on customer input, cruise schedule changes and ways to ensure the smooth flow of productivity
- Assists private charter and wedding parties in beverage selection
- Offers her knowledge to diners looking for the perfect food and wine pairing
- Has experience working in other bars and restaurants from Alaska to Las Vegas to the Adirondacks, including Whiteface Lodge, Copperfield Inn, Northwoods Inn, Big Moose Inn
- Has her Joint Pilot and Engineer’s License and is working towards her 100 ton Masters license
- Created her own recipe for Bloody Mary mix called Rachel’s Raquette Lake Elixir
- Founder & CEO of Rachel’s Adirondack Specialty Products (RASP) with Rachel’s Elixir being the first product. Distribution started out covering the Adirondacks and has now grown to cover Northern and Central NY. She recently launched her mix in the Boston market. Her intent is to cover all of NY and then gradually expand into surrounding states.
- RASP’s second product is Rachel’s Raquette Lake Elixir with the addition of 1% neutral grain spirits- the key to being able to be sold to New York State liquor stores. She launched this product in 2015. Opici Family Distributing carries this product, covering the 46 counties of New York north of Westchester County. She is working with another distributor to cover Westchester and all counties south into the New York metro area.
- For fun Rachel likes to ice fish and snowmobile in winter. During the other three seasons she likes to hike, camp, cruise Raquette Lake in her boat Snow White and travel. Anytime she likes to go out to eat delicious food and try different wines. Loves reviewing different wine lists, always looking for good ideas.
- Loves animals; adopted 3 rescue cats Lucifer, Rocky and Marmalade and for years was a Golden girl.